Do you want to know how to do “Hanging Indent” on Google Docs? -It is as easy as a piece of cake to do an indentation. It is exciting to try different methods for single tasks. A hanging indentation is a professional way of writing something. These Indentation hanging techniques are used to grab the reader. By separating the cited works, academic writing, and bibliography for author’s names or reference lists. It is the five spaces, or a half-inch, gap on the second line from the left margin. These features are available on Google Docs to enjoy and make your work unique and convenient.
At the end of this article, you will learn about the hanging Indent and its need. Moreover, how you can apply these techniques.
What is a Hanging Indent, and why do you need it?
Hanging Indent means indent the text of second or subsequent lines to the right, and first-line remains at the same position. In other words, Hanging Indentation is five spaces or ½ inches from the left margin of the second line or following lines. It makes separate citations easy to read bibliography, reference list, or cited works.
3 Methods of Hanging Indent on Google Docs
As earlier stated, there are multiple methods for hanging Indent, whether use ruler, dialog box or shortcut key in Google docs.
- Ruler method
- Dialog box method
- Shortcut key method
Ruler Method of Hanging Indent
At the top of the document, if the rule is not showing. Click the “View” tab from the menu bar and select the “Show Ruler” option. Now Ruler is visible.
- Highlight the text or paragraph you want to indent in Google docs.
- On the Ruler, a downward (blue) pointer triangle is shown.
- Move from left to right where you want to place all lines, except the first line you want to indent.
- Now, dragging the Ruler for the first line from back to the left seems like cited lines.
Dialog Box Method of Hanging Indent
Another method for hanging Indent is Dialog Box.
- Highlight the text or paragraph(s) that you want to indent in Google docs.
- Tap Format from the menu.
- Choose the Align & Indent option and click “Indentation Options”.
- A dialog box will appear.
- Select the Drop-down menu from Under Special Indent and click the “Hanging” option.
- Enter the measurement in inches in the left indent box.
- Click “Apply” to indent.
Shortcut Key Method of Hanging Indent
Using the Shortcut key from the keyboard is also more convenient for hanging Indent in Google docs.
- Place the cursor where you want to indent the text.
- Tap Shift+Enter on the keyboard.
- Another option is to press Shift with Return and press the Tab button on the keyboard.
- It makes the line break of the paragraph. Indent is done.
1. How do you hang Indent on Google docs on an iPad?
On an iPad, open Google Docs first.
- Place the cursor where you want to intend the citation.
- Copy and Paste the citation lines and highlight them.
- At the right top corner, press “A” with horizontal lines è Click “Paragraph” and then “Line spacing”.
- Tap the up arrow to increase the line spacing for citation up to 2.
- Tap at the center of the screen simply.
- Now place the cursor at the last letter of the first line and tap the Return button of the keyboard.
- At the right top corner, press “A” with horizontal lines and “Paragraph”, ⇒ then the Right indent
- Tap the center of the screen. A double-space hanging citation is shown.
2. How do you indent on Google Docs in an Android and iPhone?
Functionality and design are similar to the Google Docs app in Android and iPhone.
- Open the document and edit mode by tapping Pencil at the right bottom corner.
- Place the cursor to intend the first line. Then tap the Return
- Now set the cursor at the beginning of the first line and press “A” with horizontal lines.
- Click “Paragraph” ⇒ then Right Indent
- Now your first line is indented.
Nowadays, it seems no document is showing as a professional method without Indentation, whether academic writing or bibliography, seems to have no creativity or uniqueness. It should be a creative and different writing style to bind the audience with the writing. The hanging Indentation on Google Docs is an effective and easy way to grab the audience while reading. Hopefully, the above methods will ease your work and make you different from others.