The good old GIF. That’s what we’re doing today. How to make a GIF on iPhone? Well, of course, we’ll show you how to do that.
For starters, yes you can create GIFs on your iPhone without any other app. The solution to making GIFs on iPhone has been there right under your nose. GIFs have been around for like two decades and they seem to be not going anywhere and so are we.
So, why not make yours? This demand and persistence of GIFs made Apple integrate the GIF feature in iPhones. This is how you’re able to make them with a few clicks. Let’s get going with it.
How to Make a GIF on iPhone from Photos
This is as easy as it sounds. You can make a GIF on your iPhone with your Photos App. All you need to do is follow the steps below and you’ll learn how to make a GIF on iPhone. This is to keep in mind that only iPhones that can take live photos have this feature and can make GIFs. Let’s get going now.
- Open your Camera and click on the circular icon in the top right corner.
- You’ve activated Live Mode.
- Take a Live Photo on your iPhone.
- Go to Gallery and open that live photo.
- Swipe up on the picture and you’ll be able to see the picture description.
- In the description, click the loop option.
- You’re done! You just made a GIF.
Sure, that this GIF comes with drawbacks, there are two problems with this GIF.
- Firstly, the live photo will be faded at the end of that three-second live picture, it is not as smooth as the GIF.
- Secondly, you can’t send this to an android user. To them, it will just be a static picture and of no use to your purpose of sharing. For that purpose, we will opt out of another procedure I’m about to share.
How to Make a GIF on iPhone or Android with GIPHY
This is the most classic and best app to make GIFs on your phone, whether you have an iPhone or Android. It was bought by Facebook back in the day and it remains. Gotta say it was a pretty profitable deal since GIF doesn’t seem to go out of fashion anytime soon.
- Download the GIPHY App from Google Playstore or Appstore.
- You’ll need to log in to your Facebook account to make a GIF.
- Sign in to your FB account.
- Click Create on the top right corner of the screen.
- You’ll be asked to choose videos/pictures.
- Choose your media.
- Choose stickers if you want.
- Add Text if you fancy. And other options.
- You have now two options.
- Upload to GIPHY or Share GIF.
- Select one and you’re done!
How to Make a GIF on iPhone Using Shortcuts
You can opt for this feature if you have iOS 14 or above. There are two GIF options for you in shortcuts; you can make a GIF of a photo burst, or you can make a GIF of a video, or a live photo. Let’s start by adding the GIF video shortcut.
Using Video Shortcut
- Go to your Shortcuts app.
- Search for Starter Shortcuts.
- Locate “Create a GIF from a live photo or video” and click it.
- Click on “Add Shortcut”.
- When you come on Shortcuts’ home page again, you’ll see the GIF option.
- Click “Make a GIF” and you’ll be asked Photos Access.
- Click “Ok” to give photos access.
- Choose your Video and you’ll go back to review it.
- You’ll be given the option to trim your video.
- Click “Ok” and you are all set!
Using Photo Burst Shortcut
- Go to your Shortcuts app.
- Look for the “Convert Burst to BIF” option.
- Click the option and you’ll be on the preview screen.
- Click the Blue Arrow on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Choose a Photo Burst to turn into a GIF.
- When your GIF is created, choose what to do with it.
- You can Share the GIF or Save it to Photos.
Use GIFs from Your Message App
Why go through all that trouble in the first place? When you can just access thousands of GIFs on your Messaging Apps. Every messaging app has this small bar on top of the keyboard where you can access resources such as; stickers, GIFs, and pictures to send.
No matter what app you are using for testing, you will find a section to browse thousands of GIFs. The categories will be in lists, based on and names of emotions like happy, sad, angry, surprised, etc.
If you don’t find what you like on the previews of those GIFs, you can search. There should be a search bar to search for desired GIFs. Remember a scene from a movie that you want to show as a GIF? Just enter the character name, scene description, or what they’re saying, and hopefully (if available) the GIF from that scene and related GIFs will appear before you.