Wonder how to record your precious memories or crucial professional meetings? Knowing Mac’s screen record is a valuable skill that can assist you in your professional and personal life. Thus, the Mac screen recorder can be useful for recording lectures, meetings, etc. macOS Mojave and other versions can easily record your screen with or without audio by hitting the command+shift+5′ to view more screen recording options. So this guide will walk you through a super easy method by using Mac’s built-in screen recorder.
Moreover, when the Screenshot does not capture, the screen recording comes in handy, so you can quickly record a video of your Mac’s screen with the built-in screen recorder. Additionally, you can also use the other apps that will assist you in unlocking the more advanced features. Now let’s move to methods.
How to Screen Record on Mac (Several Methods)
Screen recording is an easy and simple process when you have a straightforward screen recorder to use. For your ease, in 2018, Apple introduced the Mojave Operating System, which comes with a built-in screen recording for the macOS. So let’s explore the methods to screen Record.
1. Start Recording Screen on a Mac with a Screenshot Toolbar
When using this method, keep in mind that the given steps are only available if you use macOS Mojave or newer versions. Pursue the below steps to start recording.
- First, you have to press Command+Shift+5 on your keyboard to view the screenshot toolbar.
- Then, a toolbar with lots of icons and options will display at the bottom of the screen. You search for the icon with the record symbol (a solid circle) over it. So, one will record a video of your whole screen, and the other will allow you to choose a particular section of the screen to record.
- After that, choose which recording type you wish and if you select Record Selected Portion, then emphasize the part of the screen you want to film and tap Record. Moreover, if you’re going to end a screen recording before it starts, press the ESC key.
- Next, your screen recording will start right away and capture the whole thing on your screen (or in the elected section) and any audio playing. When you are done recording the video, tap the Stop button in the menu bar at the apex of the screen.
So, by default, your screen recording will be hoarded to the desktop as.mov files. You can also alter the name by opening the screenshot toolbar.
2. Screen Record on Mac with QuickTime Player
You can use this method if you use the old versions of macOS. Going through the given steps while using macOS Mojave or newer will move you back to the screenshot toolbar. So let’s explore the given steps to start recording with the QuickTime player.
- Go to the QuickTime player app on your Mac. You can locate it in your Applications folder or by searching for it.
- Then, tap File in the menu bar at the apex of the screen.
- Next, you have to tap on the New Screen Recording & wait for a dark grey recording window to emerge.
Tip: Note that you may need to grant QuickTime permission to record the screen in your Mac’s system preferences app. In that case, a pop-up window will display, telling you how to grant permission.
- After that, tap on the red record button, and click anyplace on the screen to begin a fullscreen recording, or draw your mouse to record only a particular selection.
3. Record Audio in Screen Recordings
When you are recording your screen with QuickTime, you can also select to record sounds, like your own voice for narration. So let’s move to the steps.
- Go to the QuickTime player app on your Mac.
- Tap File in the menu bar at the apex of your screen.
- After that, click on the New Screen Recording and wait for a dark grey recording window to display.
- Next, tap the down arrow next to the red record button to enlarge the drop-down. Then, tap on the Internal Microphone under “Microphone.”
Tip: To allow the mouse clicks to be highlighted, you should tap on the Show Mouse Clicks in Recordings in the below menu to permit the feature.
- Once you end the recording, the new video will view in QuickTime automatically. So from here, you can see, edit and share it.
Start to Screen Record on Mac By using Third-Party Apps
There are many other apps used for recording screens on Mac. So, if you are not using the default apps for screen recording, then go for the other apps with the more advanced features. So let’s make out some of the best apps.
1. OBS Studio
The consensus among both casual and professional users is that there is no freeware screen recording utility as good as OBS Studio. This offers features for both beginner and advanced users that grant you the ability to modify every aspect of your screen recording. Moreover, you can also use the app’s built-in functions to stream directly to various platforms such as YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, and more.
2. Apowersoft Screen Recorder
It is also used as an alternate screen recorder on Macs. It is free of charge, simple, and easy to use. Thus, it is a browser-based app. It means that you can allow unlimited screen recording without installing anything. Moreover, the app has flexible controls, allowing you to pause and resume recording straightforwardly. Additionally, it can schedule your recordings and choose particular portions of your screen that you want to capture.
Snagit will be the best app if you have to create an instructional video, as it allows you to add visuals throughout editing to make your videos more appealing. It also contains templates that assist in simplifying the video-making process and allow you to record tutorials, seminars, presentations, and other useful videos. Furthermore, Snagit lets you immediately share your video to different platforms like Google Drive, Slack, email, and Dropbox for more accessible responses and collaboration. It’s not a free app; you have to pay $62.99.
First, make a link and share it with others instantly from your dashboard. This app lets you capture video and audio with its desktop app or chrome extension. When you are done capturing the video, you can store it in Loom’s default storage, so it will not take up any space on your Mac. Moreover, the app allows you to trim any part of your video and make the video focused, professional, and to the point.
Hence, you can use it for free, but you will be restricted from recording five-minute videos. You can also record for an unlimited time, but you have to pay for it, starting at $8.00 per month, including the business plan.
For making eLearning content, the Active Presenter app is the best, where you can quickly make guides, quizzes, and educational videos in various saving formats. Moreover, you can handily upload the file on LMS, but some functions are not accessible on macOS.
If you want to create a screen recording on your Mac with audio, it’s very straightforward to do with either of the built-in tools on your computer. Moreover, you can also do it with the other given apps. Hence, screen recording is useful for recording business meetings, lectures, educational videos, and much more. So, in this blog, we have mentioned the easiest ways to screen Record on Mac. So try them and share your views with us in the comment section.