When you need to turn off the iPad for whatever reason that you need to turn that off. Here’s your answer to “how to turn off the iPad”. Sometimes the iPad may get stuck and be unresponsive. The reason for that is the background activities of that device. When you have your device’s screen locked, only the screen is not lightened up; the device keeps on fetching data, background app refreshes, updates, fetching notifications.
This is why your device gets stuck even though there’s less work on it. All you need to do to turn off the iPad is to follow the steps mentioned below and you’ll successfully have your device rebooted or restarted. The problem might not be there when you turn that iPad back on.
The process to turn off your phone is different if you have an iPad that has a home button. The iPad without the home button is different and just a bit technical to turn off.
How to Turn Off iPad With a Home Button
The steps to turn off the iPad with a home button are listed below. If you are reading this guide on your current iPad, switch to your phone or laptop because you might wanna try it out as you read it. So, if you haven’t yet tried switching off your iPad then let’s go.
- You’ll see the Top Button on your iPad.
- Click and hold the top button till the screen shows you a slider.
- When you see the slider, hold the circle and drag it to the other side.
- Your screen will turn dark and hence; your device is now shut down.
How to Force Turn Off iPad With a Home Button
When the apps are stuck or the device itself is stuck, you need to turn off the device and turn that iPad back on to clear everything that was causing the problem. You can’t turn off your iPad when it is stuck.
Now what you need to do is to force turn off your iPad so you can reboot it and thus remove the unidentified problem. Follow the steps below to force turn off the iPad.
- Hold the Top Button and the Home Button simultaneously.
- Hold for a few more seconds till you see the black screen.
- Your device will not only shut down but now restart to be as good as new.
What if Your Home Button Doesn’t Work?
Sometimes the Home Button doesn’t work at all and others just broke it. You can’t do it without clicking and holding your Home Button. But that can’t stop you just yet. Apple has made their devices abundant and their software to have more than we know right now. Apple has a feature for everything. Here’s an alternative for your home button.
Enable AssistiveTouch to Turn off iPad
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Scroll down and click Accessibility.
- Just Below Switch Control, you’ll find AssistiveTouch.
- Click on it and you’ll enter the setup.
- If you want to use it as your Home Button then click on “Single-Tap”
- Choose “Home”
- Click on “Double-Tap”
- Choose “App Switcher”
- And lastly, click on “Long Press”
- In the options directly choose “Restart”
- Increase the “Long Press Duration” to 5 seconds, so you don’t accidentally restart your device.
How to turn on your iPad
All you need to do to turn your device back on is to just click and hold your Top button till you see the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, hold for a few seconds and you will see your lock screen.
How to Turn Off iPad Without Home Button
To turn your iPad that doesn’t have a home button. These iPads differ from each other and that’s what causes the problem when you are trying to get the new device and have little idea about new tech. worry not, we have you covered here. I’ll tell you how you can turn off iPad Air or iPad 2020 without just a few steps.
- Hold the top button with the volume up or volume down button.
- Quickly release the button and then do it again with the other volume button.
- You’ll see the device shut down in a few seconds.
How to Turn Off Any iPad
If you found the above-mentioned ways not desirable then there’s another way for you to shut down your device. Either you are going on a flight or hours-long car rides. You need to conserve the battery life and you want to “nicely” shut down the device. No matter what model you have, you will always be able to find these settings.
- Go to Settings App.
- Click General.
- Scroll to the bottom.
- You’ll see the option shutdown.
- Click Shutdown and you’ll be able to shut your device down.
Back Up Before You Turn Off iPad
Before you turn off iPad, make sure you have it backed up. Just in case if the issue with the frozen screen is a big one, you need to have your device backed up before you turn off iPad. Sometimes the software or the media in your device is not backed up or in the middle of it while you are doing it. Here are the steps to do so.
- Go to Settings App.
- Click on your picture.
- Scroll down and you’ll see just a few options below “iCloud Backup”
- Click the backup button and just hold for a while and let it back up.
- When you have backed up your data, you can now shutdown or restart.
Even though Apple is doing great it still has issues in older devices that it seldom solves. If you encounter an issue with the frozen screen or unresponsive device; turn off iPad and turn it back on again. You can restart it too and if you have a model with a broken home button. Follow the guide to enable AssistiveTouch to work as a Home Button.