What is airplane mode? And what does airplane mode do? Well! You have landed at the right place. We will let you know about this important phone feature.
If you have taken a flight on offline recently or in the last decade, you have to switch on AirplaneMode on your android phone, iOS, or iPad before the plane takes off.
Have you ever wondered why you must use AirplaneMode during a flight? And what advantage it gives you on your phone?
We will answer all your questions about offline mode. Keep reading below and stick with us till the end.
What Is Airplane Mode?
Airplane mode, also known as AirplaneMode, flight mode, or offline mode, is a setting available on all android phones, laptops, iPhones, iPad, Windows 10 PC, or similar devices. Whenever you turn on AirplaneMode, it will stop all signal transmission from your device. When switched on, you will also see an airplane icon in your phone’s status bar.
Therefore, many airlines forbid their airplanes’ wireless devices, particularly when taking off and landing. There are also some arguments on whether phones would interfere with the radio equipment in planes.
However, most think it is best to err on precaution.
What Does Airplane Mode Do?
Airplane mode deactivates all wireless functions of your phone or laptop, including:
- Cellular connection: you won’t do calls, send text messages or use mobile data to access the internet.
- Wi-Fi: your device will detach from existing Wi-Fi connections and can’t connect to new ones.
- Bluetooth: you won’t link your phone to speakers or headphones as Bluetooth is a short-range connection. AirplaneMode disables this.
Moreover, after turning on this mode, you can manually toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth back on, even you can keep AirplaneMode enabled to block cell signals.
Modern versions of iOS and Android have some latest tweaks for AirplaneMode. If you turn on airplane mode on modern phones while connected to a Bluetooth device, it can’t drop the Bluetooth connection. If you would like to turn off Bluetooth, you can still do this manually.
In contrast, GPS is a bit different. It doesn’t transfer any radio waves on your phone. However, your phone’s GPS functionality only receives signals from GPS satellites. It depends on your device that AirplaneMode may or may not switch off GPS.
Moreover, offline map apps will work without an internet connection, while features such as live traffic can’t work in AirplaneMode since you don’t have a connection to the internet.
How to Turn On iPhone Airplane Mode via Control Center
The fastest way to enable AirplaneMode on the iPhone, iPad, iOS watch, or iPod touch is through Control Center. Most importantly, you need to be running iOS 7 or higher for this. Although almost any iOS device has that. Here are the instructions below:
- Strike from the top right and open Control Center.
- Click the Airplane icon in the top left corner of the Control Center then the icon will flash up.
To turn off AirplaneMode, you need to:
- Open Control Center
- Click the Airplane icon again. After that, it is not lit up.
How to Enable iOS airplane Mode via Settings
Although Control Center is the easiest way to acquire AirplaneMode, it is not your only option. You can also turn on AirplaneMode while using the iOS settings app. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app while tapping.
- The first option that appears on your screen is AirplaneMode.
- Swipe the Airplane Mode slider to on, and the green light flashes up.
To disable AirplaneMode while using settings, you need to;
- Click the Setting app
- Move the offline Mode slider off, and the green light turns white.
How to Use Airplane Mode on iOS Watch
You can also enable Airplane Mode on the Apple Watch. Here’s how:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the Apple Watch face screen and click the Airplane icon.
- AirplaneMode is enabled after an orange airplane icon has been displayed at the top.
Furthermore, if you want to set your Apple Watch, automatically go into AirplaneMode while you permit it on your iPhone.It would be best if you did the following:
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
- Click General.
- Select Airplane Mode.
- Swipe the Mirror iPhone slider to on.
How to Enable In-Plane Wi-Fi While Using Airplane Mode
Most airlines provide in-flight Wi-Fi to let passengers work, send an email, browse the web, or stream entertainment during the flight. But what if Airplane Mode turns off Wi-Fi? How would you take advantage of this option in your iPhone?
We will find a solution. Actually, it’s not that much difficult. Although Airplane Modes turn off Wi-Fi by default, but it doesn’t prohibit you from turning it back on. Follow the given steps to use Wi-Fi on a plane:
- Put your device in offline Mode.
- After, without disabling Airplane Mode, turn on Wi-Fi either from Control Center or Settings. Make sure both enables at the same time.
- Connect to the plane’s Wi-Fi network
Note: Things will be fine if you won’t disable Airplane Mode.
How to Toggle AirplaneMode on Windows and Mac
On Windows 10, you can enable airplane mode through the Action Center. To do that:
- Press Win + A or tap the notification bubble icon at the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Then, look for the Airplane mode toggle switch at the bottom.
- Press it to enable airplane mode and discontinue all network signals.
- Tap Expand if you don’t see the panel, it may be hidden by default.
Moreover, there are two different ways to turn on Airplane Mode on macOS. Unfortunately, there is no Airline Mode option, so you have to turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Here are the two ways:
- The Menu Bar
- Tap on the Wi-Fi symbol on your menu bar.
- Tap turn Wi-Fi off.
- System Preferences
- Open the System Preferences window and tap Network.
- Click on turn Wi-Fi off.
Yes, it helps your device save battery life.
No, because enabling airplanemode will disconnect other networks in your phone.
Airplane mode will hide ads in offline mobile games.
No, because your phone has no cellular service connection.
Hopefully, we have answered some of the most common questions about offline mode on your phone or laptop. In a nutshell, it will shut off all wireless activity on your device, which is compulsory on flights yet handy even on the ground. Moreover, you can also tweak offline mode while toggling on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth manually if you still want to access some connections.
We recommend you download your media on your phone so you won’t rely on an internet connection. That way, you are enjoying your long flight.