Windows 10 search not working? Here is how you can fix it
Windows search plays a vital role in helping out in daily work to look for items residing in your computer, whether someone wants to search for a file, images, videos, etc. But, what if windows 10 search is not working? What if it does not return any result? What if some faulty updates caused it to crash? Looking for a fix to make windows 10 start menu search work properly? Then, this is the place where we shall explain some easy and helpful methods to resolve the search issue.
Fix Windows 10 search using Troubleshooter:
Windows troubleshooter is by default the best option which will help out in almost every situation. To fix the windows 10 search issue using troubleshooter, follow the steps below:
- Go to the start menu.
- Click the cog button.
- Go to Settings.
- Look to the left pane and click Troubleshoot.
- Scroll down and find Search and Indexing.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
Running the troubleshooter may be enough to solve the issue regarding the windows 10 search bar.
Fix Windows 10 start menu search using Command Prompt:
Windows 10 search still not working? Using the windows troubleshooter is not the only remedy. Another way to fix windows start menu search is through a command prompt.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run command.
- Type CMD and hit enter or click OK.
- Type in the following command and hit enter to open the windows troubleshooter. Command: msdt -ep Windowshelp id SearchDiagnosticOpen the Advanced option.
- Check on Apply Repairs Automatically. Then click next.
- Click Next and find the problem that best suits your situation. And proceed further.
Hopefully, this will fix the windows 10 search. But, if you still can’t search in the start menu search bar, let’s look at some more ways to make your windows search work.
Fix Windows 10 search by restarting the Search:
- To restart the search bar in Windows 10 you need to run the Task Manager. There are two ways through which you can do this. Open it using right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager OR press Alt + Ctrl + Del key combination on your keyboard.
- Click the Details tab and look for the SearchUI.exe process.
- Select SearchUI.exe and click on the End task button.
This will surely enable the windows 10 search bar. Don’t worry about the process as windows shall restart the process soon automatically. If not, you can restart your computer and every process will be back online.
How to fix windows 10 search using index settings:
The above solutions will serve the need. But if the windows 10 search is still not working then there is another method you can try is through “Index settings”. The term Index Settings might sound unorthodox to some people. But, it is an effective method through which you can bring the windows search bar back to work. Let’s have a look at how you can do it.
- As usual, go to the start menu select Settings.
- Click on Search.
- On the left-hand side click on Searching Windows.
- Scroll down and look for Advanced Search Indexer Settings and click on it.
- Click on the Advanced button.
- In the Index Settings tab click on the Rebuild button and click OK.
- You can also start Troubleshoot search and Indexing.
Try Restarting Windows 10 Search Process:
Another reason why Windows 10 search may not be working is that indexing services might be turned off or haven’t even started with the windows boot up. There is another way to start the search by setting Startup Type to Automatic.
- Press Windows key + R and type cmd.
- In the command prompt type services.msc and press OK.
- Look for Windows Search Service. Double click to open it.
- Set Startup type to Automatic.
- Click Apply and OK.
This will set your Windows 10 search bar to start automatically when the computer system boots.
Try updating windows to solve the search issue:
Updating the windows might be helpful to resolve search bar issues in windows 10. To update the windows follow these steps below:
- Click the start menu and open Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click on the Check for Updates button.
- Click Restart to finalize the update.
Fix Windows 10 search by uninstalling updates:
Some faulty updates can also affect your computer’s performance. For example, disabling Cortana, interrupting the internet connections or issues like disturbing the windows start menu search. This could be the reason why the windows 10 search bar is not working as it should. To uninstall the updates follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, click on Update and Security.
- Select windows update.
- Click on the View update History option.
- Go to uninstall updates and select the latest installed updates.
- Click on the Uninstall button and press yes.
Now, we have tried a lot of ways through which you can fix windows 10 search.
In this article, we explained a lot of different ways how you can fix the windows 10 search bar if it is not working. Hopefully, these solutions will help you out resolving the search bar issues. Another method you can try to fix the windows search is by uninstalling the windows and installing it again. This one is the most simple solution you can try if and only if the windows 10 search is still not working. Go ahead and try these.